There should be a list of facts and guidelines on how to act around a person with depression. Like that would make my life sooooooooo much easier.
Signal boost—anyone know of any website (or tumblr post) that gives a concise list?? I mean, all I can say is how I…
How can I help a loved one who is depressed?
If you know someone who is depressed, it affects you too. The most important thing you can do is help your friend or relative get a diagnosis and treatment. You may need to make an appointment and go with him or her to see the doctor. Encourage your loved one to stay in treatment, or to seek different treatment if no improvement occurs after 6 to 8 weeks.
To help your friend or relative
- Offer emotional support, understanding, patience, and encouragement.
- Talk to him or her, and listen carefully.
- Never dismiss feelings, but point out realities and offer hope.
- Never ignore comments about suicide, and report them to your loved one’s therapist or doctor.
- Invite your loved one out for walks, outings and other activities. Keep trying if he or she declines, but don’t push him or her to take on too much too soon.
- Provide assistance in getting to the doctor’s appointments.
- Remind your loved one that with time and treatment, the depression will lift.
(via deducecanoe)Source: waywarddean
- laughingacademy reblogged this from deducecanoe
- laughingacademy likes this
- thedisreputabledog likes this
- im-a-fangirl likes this
- deducecanoe reblogged this from jurijuri
- jurijuri reblogged this from deducecanoe and added:
- ferrific said: A google search of “caring for a depressed person” pops up some promising links from reputable sources. .
- deducecanoe said: I’ve seen some stuff on tumblr. You may want to google it.
- waywarddean posted this